Thursday, August 27, 2009

Cornelia Parker

Anti-Mass 2005
I always enjoy looking at modern art because I like abstract images and unusual shapes and materials used in the art. I am often amazed by creative minds of artist. When I visited the De Young Museum, I saw an art made with charcoal and wire by Cornelia Parker. I was so impressed with the scale and unique materials used in the art, so I looked up the artist when I came home. She is an English sculptor and installation artist. She engages in intervention with site-specific work, and is best known for large-scale installations such as Cold Dark Matter: An Exploded View (1991), where she had a garden shed blown up by the British Army and suspended the fragments as if suspending the explosion process in time. In the centre was a light which cast the shadows of the wood dramatically on the walls of the room. Here are few images of her work.

Closed up image of Charcoal

Neither From Nor Towards, 1992

Cold Dark Matter: An Exploded View 1991

Thirty Pieces of Silver (exhaled)

No comments:

Post a Comment